Monday, March 26, 2012

Guided Reading


For this week’s assignment I found an article from Michigan State University. I had never heard of guided reading until this class (really this assignment), so I found this article to be very informative. According to the source, guided reading consists of small groups of children on the same reading level reading the same text. The students read books that they can be successful at reading which they consider to be 90-94% accuracy and 90% comprehension. As the students sharpen their skills they have the chance to move groups. I think this could be very effective because the students recognize that others have the same reading troubles that they do. It also helps that they are given materials that they can be successful with, as opposed to being given text that is much too difficult and that hinders comprehension. My one concern is how the students move groups. I wonder if it would be discouraging for other students when someone moves from their group to another one. Here is the link to the article:

https://www.msu.edu/user/tarjason/What%20is%20Guided%20Reading.pdf

2 comments:

  1. I think that student's moving groups may not be hard on them because as a group they can move on to a harder more difficult book. This way they are moving on as a group and it can stay that way. It may be hard for them to see other groups on tougher books, but the younger grades will probably just be happy with getting a new book that they can read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the concern for how the group move is interesting to me a swell. Do they ever receive information that may challenge their reading abilities and if one does leave their group does it make them discouraging? I am interesting in knowing.

    ReplyDelete