Monday, February 20, 2012

Phonemic Awareness


To start, I was glad that the Yopp and Yopp article made the distinction between auditory discrimination and phonemic awareness. As they pointed out, many people do not know the difference, and I was one of those people. I can see now that they are not the same thing, but that they are definitely related. Being able to hear the likenesses and differences in phonemes and words certainly helps one to develop an awareness that spoken language consists of a sequence of phonemes, which is so integral to reading and writing. Because the two, phonemic awareness and auditory discrimination, are so related, I wonder how that affects individuals with hearing impairments. If anyone has any thoughts, please comment!

I thought the article really gave some good ideas on how to approach instruction on phonemic awareness. It did a nice job of breaking down the sequencing for teaching it and gave good examples. I could definitely see myself using the different rhyming and clapping activities. I always think its good if you can teach kids things without them knowing they are being taught. The video below is a song about a big pig, and it is made up of words that rhyme with pig. Check it out!




2 comments:

  1. I think that the pig song is great! haha It does a good job of helping kids to learn with a fun song. They recognize the differences in the "b" sound and "d" sound and "j" sound. The rest of the word is the same, but one different letter makes a completely different meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think children definitely learn more when they are enjoying themselves! There are so many fun ways in which to experiment with sounds, rhymes, etc. As teachers, it is our job to create engaging activities, so our students absorb information without knowing they are doing so. Fun videos, like your "Big Pig Song," entertain students, yet work in topics like phonemic awareness without the students' knowledge.

    ReplyDelete